I LOVE this recipe ..it's so scrumptious and comforting and very easy to make with just a 10 min prep time and 2 hour cooking time
I made my last one in a foil pan and gave it to our family member to take one home with them to freeze or to eat during their working week
So I haven't a glamorous photo of it only one on the plate and one in the foil pan
- 225g (½ lb) ( 2 Cups) (All purpose) plain flour
- 114 g (¼ lb) (1/2 Cup) suet or Butter .. In the US I used Butter
- 680g (1½ lb) apples (peeled, cored and chopped) I sprinkle with lemon juice so they don't turn brown
- 225g (½ lb) (1 Cup) demarara (Dark Brown) sugar
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of mixed spice (all Spice)
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- Rub the butter or suet into the flour until like breadcrumbs.
- Add all other dry ingredients, apple and mix well.
- Add egg and water and again mix well.
- Place in a 7 inch (18cm) square tin and cook in a low oven 150c /300f/gas mark 2 for 2 hours until golden brown.
I like to serve mine with freshly whipped double cream ..it is also great with English Custard , Ice cream , Cool Whip ...whichever you prefer
This dessert will also freeze great ..you could freeze it in portions and just get out how many pieces you require for the busy working week