Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole - Cooking with Janet - A very Yummy Easy meal
This is so yummy and a feel good meal ...you can make it at the weekend and freeze it in a freezer and oven safe casserole dish to reheat in the oven on a busy weekday night
"All the flavors of your favorite cabbage rolls without having to make the rolls, this delicious casserole is ready to pop in the oven in 15 minutes.
This will easily feed 6 or more ....as there is only Danny and I ...I was able to freeze two separate lots for enjoying another day
- 1 Small Savoy Cabbage or Cabbage of your choice ...Shredded
- 1 pound lean ground/minced beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 4 oz Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 PKT of Uncle Ben's Ready Whole Grain Medley Brown & Wild 90 sec. Rice
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil Tuscan Italian Salad Dressing
- 3 Cups of Crushed Canned Tomatoes
- 1 14.5oz Can of Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 PKT Cheddar or Italian Shredded Cheese, divided
- Place shredded cabbage in large bowl. Add enough boiling water to completely cover cabbage. Let stand 10 min. then drain and pat dry
- Meanwhile, brown meat with onions in large nonstick skillet. Add carrots and mushrooms ..cook 3 6 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Stir in tomato paste, rice, dressing, 2 cups tomato sauce and can of fire roasted tomatoes and 3/4 PKT cheese.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Carefully remove vein from centre of each leaf.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the remaining tomato sauce into 3-L round casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cover with layers of shredded cabbage leaves and 2 cups rice mixture; repeat layers 3 times. Top with remaining cabbage leaves, remaining sauce and cheese; cover.
- Bake 1 hour 10 min., uncovering after 1 hour. Let stand 5 min. before serving.
There are several versions you could do to make it your own recipe ...you could use crumbled up taco shells in the different layers and even add some Taco seasoning ...or put frozen English Peas and Sweet Corn in the mixture ....
How ever you make it
I hope you have a go and will make it over and over again for your family or just for yourself with some leftover for freezing
Makes a great Pot Luck dish too
Happy Cooking Everyone