- 1/3 lb butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all purpose (plain) flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond meal (almond flour)
- 3 pears, peel quartered and finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Grease a 30cm flan tin or a pie plate that you can directly slice and serve from. Preheat oven to 18OC. 350F
- Using electric beaters, beat butter, sugar and lemon zest until creamy and pale in colour.
- Continue beating and add the eggs, one at a time.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and almond meal.
- Spoon half of this mixture into the flan tin. Spread to cover. Reserve the remaining half of the mixture. Arrange the pear slices over the base. Spread the pears out evenly. They usually need to be slightly overlapped. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the pears.
- Spread the remaining cake batter over the top of the pear layer and then scatter over the flaked almonds.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for around 30 minutes or until tested as cooked with a skewer.
- Allow the cooked cake to stand for at least 10 minutes prior to serving. Serve warm with fresh cream, warm custard or ice-cream.
Here above is Lake Gardia in Italy ..so beautiful if you are lucky enough to have the right weather as being in the mountains it does tend to rain a lot
Ponte di Pietra (Peter's Bridge), Verona, Italy
How about a little teacake ..more tea perhaps ??
Another cup before I show you Rome ...this is one of my favorite ones ..I love pink rose buds ...Hows the cake ?? Oh look to the right it's the Colosseum!
Beautiful Switzerland below ..I have been lucky enough to visit there since I was a small child and have no idea how many times I have been but it's always so beautiful ..I will never get bored with it
Beautiful Portofino, Italy ..love the colored houses
The beautiful Amalfi coast line, Italy
Venice ..one of my most favorite places in the World ...I love the atmosphere of it all ..and loved the hotel we stayed in where our morning breakfast table was on the side of the canal ..such a lovely way to start the day in the middle of it all
Always treasured memories ..I have been there many times and hope to go again in the future
One of my other favorite places to visit ..I have been there 4 times and it never tires ..to the left is one of the many, many ornate gorgeous arches of ancient Rome ...below the Fountain of Trevi ..throw a penny in it. make a wish and you will return to Rome ..guess it's true as I do it on every trip I take there
Zermatt, Switzerland ..nestled in the valley ..always a joy
But one place I love to go back to time and again in Lucerne (Luzern) , Switzerland
My son booked us in to the hotel right next to this beautiful bridge below ...
We have stayed there twice and it's breathtaking
My late Mother was there with us and we both had to go to the women's side of the Wailing wall to put our prayer on a rolled up paper in to one of the crevices in the wall whilst the men went on the other side ..so I have lovely memories of that moment I shared just with my darling Mother Gwendoline
Thanks so much for taking a little time to spend with me and see some of my favorite trips ..hope you enjoyed it
Hope you liked the Almond Pear Cake too and will have a go at making it ..it's very easy and simple to make
I will leave you with a lady selling Jerusalem breads in the bazarre
Above is the tranquil Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem
Below the church in Bethlehem